Diplomatic Staff, Expatriates and Non-Residence

We are tax specialists for UK Government workers going abroad and offer specialist services for diplomatic staff and other expatriates. We will take care of the paperwork whilst you are abroad and ensure everything is kept up to date.

If you work for the Foreign Office, The British Council DIFID or a range of the UK Government departments or organisations and are posted abroad, it can be really difficult sorting out your tax and finances and this is where we can help you.

Whereas ordinary expatriates are given specialist tax advice by their employers, British diplomats and other UK Government staff who go abroad are given no formal advice for their own tax or help for their partners and spouses who accompany them.

There are special tax rules relating specifically to some Government employees, but UK experts who deal regularly with the issues for cost-effective fees are very rare.

Our managing director, a specialist on tax for Government workers going abroad, has provided advice for many years and looked after hundreds of diplomats; including everyone from those on their first time posting up to Ambassadors. We can also provide advice to those taking up posts with international Organisations such as the EU or UN.

We can advise and help you to ensure you are complying with UK tax law but also to make the most of tax planning opportunities that are available. For example:

  • Leaving the UK and working abroad – when is the best time to go?
  • Letting your UK property – getting exemption from tax at source on your rent.
  • Capital gains – when is a sale exempt from tax and reporting requirements.
  • National insurance whilst abroad.
  • Owning property abroad.